Drumming up new business is a critical part of any enterprise. As nice as it would be to reach client carrying capacity and call it good, that’s simply not realistic. If you want to maintain a steady flow of business, you need a law firm marketing machine.
Unfortunately, many law firms see themselves as the only viable “machine.” They put out advertisements online or via analogue media. They rely on word of mouth. There’s the odd bus bench. And sure, we all love digital media approaches: blog posts, free downloads, tweets, you name it. But what happens when all those prospects decide to give you a call?
Here’s where attorneys get bogged down: They answer the phones themselves. In so doing, they invest huge percentages of their time in talking to people who want free advice, are price shopping, or just want a shoulder on which to cry. That’s not destined to lead to good ROI, now, is it?
The solution: a law firm answering service. But how does it work? And is it really the answer (no pun intended) for you?
Glad you asked. Let’s tackle some of the most frequently asked questions about the attorney answering service model, so you can make the right marketing choices for you – today and in the future.
How Does a Call Center for Attorneys Work?
A call center for attorneys is a simple and affordable way to weed out poor candidates who would otherwise take up your time, through a simple system that leverages your marketing dollars to the utmost. Here’s how it works:
- A prospect sees your advertisement, frequently online, but also via effective media such as direct mail, billboards or television spots.
- The prospect calls the number listed in the advertisements.
- A legal intake call center representative picks up the phone and answers on your behalf.
- The representative asks the caller what they need, then explains how your services are a solution for them.
- They answer any questions the prospect might have and do their best to disqualify anyone who won’t benefit from your services or who will waste your time.
- If the caller desires it, the rep will transfer them to you.
- All you have to do is pick up the phone and make the appointment.
- If needed, you can ask your call center to take messages on a 24/7 basis so that you never miss a single one!
When Does a Call Center for Attorneys Pass on the Call?
The whole point of a law firm answering service is that the rep keeps the poor prospects from wasting your time. Those prospects include:
- Tire kickers: A tire kicker is someone who will talk all day about a product or service without ever actually committing. They will discuss price, ask detailed questions, make queries about your background, and generally hog your time and resources… but never pull the trigger.
- Price shoppers: A price shopper is someone who wants to argue over dollars and cents without actually getting to the heart of the matter. You don’t need people like this, people who are too focused on the money to respect your time and expertise. Plus, you’ll rarely if ever be able to make them happy on price in the end, so why bother?
- Unqualified or inapplicable cases: Sometimes, people are motivated to pay for a service, but they’re just not your client. No matter how “ready” someone is to move forward, if they’re looking for a medical malpractice attorney and you specialize in workers comp, they’re wasting your time.
Law firm call center representatives are trained to recognize your ideal client as well as those who don’t suit your needs. They will never pass on a call without first establishing that the client is right for you. That means:
- Making sure the client wants your services
- Checking their story/needs to determine that you can help them
- Gauging their level of motivation
- Explaining how the transfer will work
Only then do they pass on the call. Once the rep has gone through all of these steps, it’s very unlikely the tire kickers or price shoppers will get through. Most of those people are put off by the idea of a transfer, since it means making a decision. Even those who do get through are likelier to set up a consultation with you simply by virtue of having come this far.
Is an Attorney Answering Service Affordable?
On the surface, a call center might seem like, “just another expense,” but think about it: How many hours do you spend talking to unqualified prospects? How much of your energy do you waste on people who drain you but never pay you? How much more time could you spend at home if someone else were answering your calls and only sending you the most qualified prospects?
The answer: a lot. And that’s before you take into account the fact that you don’t have to pay until someone actually calls you. You only pay per minute call center representatives are on the phone – meaning a call center is actually your most affordable option.
How Do You Get Started with a Call Center?
The best way to begin is to have a chat with a representative of the call center. They will tell you all about the process, from the moment you sign up for the service to the moment the prospect calls you to book an appointment. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need to make the right decision for yourself… and your business.
Want to learn more about how to use a call center for attorneys to grow your business? Give us a call at 888.832.5397 or email us today, and we’ll get back to you just as soon as we can. You deserve a marketing method that doesn’t break the bank or keep you up all hours, so get in touch with us to get started today!